My husband's birthday was this past week. I always want to make him something special, but he hates cake. I think the only time I have ever seen him eat cake is at our wedding when we cut the cake. So every year I make him a birthday french silk pie. He absolutely loves it!
First I start out with a homemade crust. I use a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, the orange Betty Crocker cookbook from 1969 that I got from my mom. She bought it for me at garage sale because she didn't want me to take hers! You can find the recipe here, but I always use lard instead of the shortening that it calls for.
Then I make the delicious chocolate filling! It is so easy with only 5 ingredients!
You need:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 1 oz. squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large, very fresh eggs
sweetened whipped cream
Start by creaming the butter in a bowl. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light. Blend in the chocolate and the vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat for five minutes after you add each one. Pour into the cooled crust and top with your whipped cream! I like to whip up my own whipped cream. I think it adds to the homemade goodness! Happy baking!
If you are at all concerned about salmonella or are uncomfortable eating raw eggs, this recipe is not for you! It is recommended that immuno-compromised patients, the very young, or elderly should not eat raw or lightly cooked eggs. Consuming eggs that have not been cooked to 165*F is at your own risk!
I already told you this, but I jumped up to make pie crust and eat it raw as a snack before I even finished reading the post!
ReplyDeleteYour pie looks fabulous!